Fate, Precision and the Power of Kindness (Journal #1)

I’ve always believed in the idea that when a certain something is meant to happen, it will. It could be upon meeting someone new, or doing something for the very first time whether you like it or not, or maybe it’s tiny things that you don’t even think about—like saying hello to a stranger when you’re in your grumpiest mood. My point is, it’s true what they say. That little belief of mine is real. The thing is, I’ve never actually took the time to realise it in full.

Which takes me back to a couple of weeks ago. I’d just finished rehearsing for a drama performance with a couple of friends of mine. It was late, the weather was getting cold and we were in the university which was staring to become empty at the time, so I decided to take the tram home despite the fact that my place is just two stops away. I went on anyway, finding an empty seat and immediately getting comfy. Little did I know that it was going to be the most crowded tram I’ve ever been on. 

By the time it got to my stop, it was practically impossible for me to get off. There were maybe one or two people who wanted to get off as well, but couldn’t. Someone at the back of the tram yelled for them to just wait until we get to the city stop and then switch trams, and I remember just rolling my eyes to infinity. I was tired, sleepy and missing my favourite show that night. I didn’t want to wait until the city to get off, just to get on another tram again. I had no patience for that. But I was also too late, because as I looked around, I realised that the tram’s moved on anyway. There goes my stop.

The city isn’t far from where I live. It’s only a couple of tram stops away. Still, I kept asking myself why I took the tram in the first place when I could’ve walked. And then the questions changed to why I didn’t just force myself to get off when there was still time. Was I scared, or did I just not want to seem off as rude? I didn’t know. All I knew was that I have to get off in the city centre, regardless what, and take the opposite tram home.

As expected, everyone got off in the city centre. I remember feeling this sigh of relief as I hopped off, the chilly weather hitting my skin. I crossed the street and waited for the tram. And just when I thought this night couldn’t get any worse, the tram arrived right on time, but in the exact condition as the one I just got off—full; people standing and being squeezed against one another. I didn’t have time for this. For all I knew, I wouldn’t get off at my stop again. Wouldn’t it be funny if I actually ended up at the university stop, right where I started?

So I decided to ditch the tram completely. Finally, you might be thinking. I could’ve done that from the very start. But here’s where things took a little turn for me. I was about a block away from home when two men approached me at a street light, asking for directions. They seemed to be in their early 50s, dressed formally which I assumed they were going to a business meeting or something. One of them showed me this piece of paper with an address on it, and it wasn’t far from where we were, so I gave it my best shot and pointed my finger here and there to show them the location. They weren’t English speakers, so I understood it was hard for them to interpret my map skills (which isn’t good at all, to be honest). As I’ve mentioned a couple of times in this story, I was tired as heck. It was a long day for me and I was ready to fall asleep. But something inside of me pulled me together and took the choice of being kind. I offered to lead them to the address, and as I walked in front of them, they began making small talks with me. It felt nice and warm in the chilly weather. 

I watched them cross the road as I stood still in the corner of the street, waiting to make the turn to go home. Before that, though, they had thanked me. And something about the way they said it made everything I’d been through that night worth it. Maybe it was the kindness, or the genuine tone within their voices. Maybe it was just the fact that I did something nice for once and it wasn’t for myself. I don’t know what it was. All I knew is that from that moment on, I finally witnessed a real story of fate.

If I didn’t have a drama practice that night, I wouldn’t have ended up taking the tram home. If that tram hadn’t been as crowded as it was, I would have never chose to stop at the city centre, where the tram also ended up being just as full and I made the decision to walk home. Little did I know that in my walk home that night, I’d end up helping somebody (well, maybe two person).

My point is, it was fate for me to go through all that trouble with the tram. I was meant to stop at the city instead of my usual stop, and then walk home. Because it dawned upon me that if those events hadn’t occurred, those two men would’ve probably asked someone else, or may even ended up getting lost and missing whatever event it was that they had to attend. It was fate for me to help them. And even though it might not seem like much, I guess it’s also true when they say that helping others is equivalent to helping yourself. 

That night, I realised that sometimes, the best kind of twinkle isn’t always in your eyes, but rather in the eyes of a strangers.

So if you’re having a bad day and feeling like everything you’ve ever dreamed of is going wrong, hold on. Chances are, something better is coming your way. And when you have the chance to choose over two things, always choose kindness.

And remember: If it’s meant to happen, it will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (Review #5)

Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner (Review #2)

We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen (Review #3)