We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen (Review #3)


“Sometimes I wish my life was a movie. Not my whole life, but certain moments.”

- (Ashley) Susin Nielsen, We Are All Made of Molecules 

I knew this book would tell a story that touches on the topic of family, and by the time I’d finished reading the first chapter, I think it’s safe to say that Susin Nielsen is actually letting us explore so many other different themes and ideas. Yes, family is one of the main, but there are so much more that we can learn as lessons by the turning of a page. Carefully, the author has successfully reminded me of my middle school days—the whining and complaining and everything in between. I honestly don’t understand how my mom could cope with me back then. Looking back, I don’t even think I could cope with my 14 year old self. Moving on from this, Susin then quite quickly changes the tone of the story with the reality of the ending of one’s life, and in this case, Stewart’s mom and her passing. Again, this made me think. What would my 14 year old self do if this would have ever happened to me? The story continues on to discuss topics such as bravery, the idea of letting go and the importance of having an open mind. It also openly discussed the harsh reality that the LGBT community has to face in their daily lives. There were parts within the story that made me want to throw bricks. Ashley’s dad never deserved to have the word “FAGGOT” written on the side of his little house purely because of his sexuality. People need to open their eyes and look. The world is a messy place, but we’re all just people. Appreciate one another, please.

The story is told in 2 perspectives, Ashley and Stewart. The plot reminded me of a typical middle school story, where on one hand, grief is taking over and on the other, ego is. But there is so much more to that. Yes, it’s about the parties and the crush and the sleepovers with your best friends who might potentially turn into your worst enemy, but behind all that, both perspectives are struggling to find their way to the surface, struggling to be comfortable with who they are and what they’ve done. Both characters share similarities and differences. Stewart emphasises on his sadness, but still made some space for his ego. Ashley displayed her ego to the world, but still kept sadness by her side.

“And so I was glad I had the costume on, because suddenly I was crying my eyes out under the dog head. I couldn’t stop picturing my mom, and how happy this moment would have made her. She was never anything but proud of me, but I also know that she worried about me.” 

- (Stewart) Susin Nielsen, We Are All Made of Molecules

In terms of characters, Susin Nielsen had done a great job on making me not very fond of Ashley (specifically in the first few chapters), and this is purely because she reminds me so much of my younger self. Always wanting to be in the spotlight. I guess at that age we’re all just trying to figure out the things around us and who we are. But as I continued reading, I became more aware of the kind of person Ashley is, I actually started emphasising with her. I think it’s right to say that you can’t pick a favourite in this book, because by the end of the story, I fell in love with each character, especially Stewart’s cat, Schrödinger.. There’s not much I want to comment on in terms of characters. I enjoyed getting to know them all. Diverse, different, yet all relatable in their own way, Susin had done a wonderful job of making me experience different thoughts from different perspectives!

If there’s one message Susin wanted to emphasise on while writing this book, I think it would be the fact that we are all just skin and bones. We have different looks, different hobbies, but we’re made up of the same things—molecules. We are all made of molecules, and just like how Stewart had mentioned, our molecules can linger for just a little longer after we die.


“I have concluded that Mom belongs there along with everyone else, because her memory—and her molecules—live on.” 

- (Stewart) Susin Nielsen, We Are All Made of Molecules 


Book Info
Title: We Are All Made of Molecules 
Author: Susan Nielsen
Publisher: Andersen Press
Page: 336
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Published: April, 2016
Get it here: 
(International)
https://www.bookdepository.com/We-Are-All-Made-of-Molecules-Susin-Nielsen/9780553496895?ref=grid-view&qid=1516431946038&sr=1-1
(Australia)
https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/we-are-all-made-of-molecules-by-susin-nielsen-9781448187829/#.WmLqUa1L3-Y
https://www.readings.com.au/products/20735133/we-are-all-made-of-molecules








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (Review #5)

Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner (Review #2)