Always and Forever by Jenny Han (Review #1)


“But then I think, no, I wouldn’t give up twelve, thirteen, sixteen,
seventeen with Peter for the world."

-Jenny Han, Always and Forever, Lara Jean



If you were to ask me about what I find so special about this trilogy, I wouldn't say anything. It's not because it's a terrible series. No. Not at all. It's the complete opposite. It's wonderfulall the way from the first novel, all the way from the beginning of Lara Jean's story. Amazingly written, beautifully done to be able to pull my heartstringsthis is why I wouldn't even attempt to answer your question. The truth is, I don't even know what I find so special about it. I don't want to pick out parts and leave all the others out, because heck, I enjoy every single piece of the novel(s)! It wouldn't be fair to only choose one thing to be explained as special to me.

But, I'm here to talk about the final novel, the ending of a new beginning for Lara Jean (aka the main character, just in case you haven't read it). Special? Yes, every part is. Different? That's another question. If you've read the previous two novels, I'm sure you'd be aware by now of how Lara Jean's character is like. She's smart, passionate about baking that perfect cookie and pretty much a fanatic for anything sweet. Not to mention, she's ambitious and determined for reaching her goals, but I've always felt like I was only getting a part of her in the first two stories, not the full thing. That lead me to always wondered about the rest of her.

"It snuck up on me—growing up, I mean."

-Jenny Han, Always and Forever, Lara Jean


Always and Forever, Lara Jean starts out with welcoming me back to the old Lara Jean, the one I've always known. Did it sent a warm feeling to my heart? Yes, yes it did. It was like getting a chance to talk to an old friend again and reconnecting instantly, or listening to your old favourite song and suddenly singing all the words as if it'd been there the whole time. But, still, I wanted another side of Lara Jean. I wanted unexpected. I wanted adventure. And boy, did Jenny Han give me that.

I'm not here to spoil the story for you. I'm here to give you an opinion of mine about it. And like I said previously, I don't think I'll ever be able to choose a part of the story to be the most special to me. However, I can choose one that truly pulled at my heartstrings. Always and Forever, Lara Jean had done a successful job at doing so. I recently graduated from high school. I know the feeling of 
sitting on top of the stage with the people you've watched grow up; the people who've watched you grow up. I know what it's like to finally get hit with the reality that you might never see those familiar faces again. I've been there. And as Lara Jean was telling me her own experience, I couldn't help but remembered about mine. That was enough to made me relive the moment again, and if I must say so, enough to form tears in my eyes (not even kidding! I was ready to start sobbing!) In the last chapter of Lara Jean's story, I finally felt like I was able to see the real, real her. I was finally able to see that other sidethe adventurous sideof her (Chris' and her midnight adventure to the university is goals!).

“Families shrink and expand. All you can really do is be glad for it, glad for each other, for as long as you have each other."

-Jenny Han, Always and Forever, Lara Jean


So, with that said, I can't be the one to tell you to read the entire trilogy (if you haven't). You need to want to read it yourself. I can't tell you every plot of the story (what's the point of you reading, then?) I'm only here to let you know that the last novel of the To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy definitely touched my heart, and I surely hope that if you give it a chance, it will touch your heart, too.


Till next time,
Anindya

Book Info
Title: Always and Forever, Lara Jean 
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Page: 336
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Published: May, 2017
Get it here: 
(International)
https://www.bookdepository.com/Always-and-Forever--Lara-Jean/9781407177663
(Australia)
https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/always-and-forever-lara-jean-by-jenny-han-9781481430487/#.WmLmea1L3-Y
https://www.readings.com.au/products/23012850/always-and-forever-lara-jean

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (Review #5)

Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner (Review #2)

We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen (Review #3)